1. State and Federal Laws
All purchases will be made within the legal requirements of the laws of the State of Indiana and of the United States.
2. Small Purchase Policy
a. If the library expects the purchase to be less than $50,000, a small purchase, the purchase may be made without soliciting bids or proposals.
b. In making purchases of less than $50,000 the following guidelines shall be followed:
- The library shall compare prices from as many responsible suppliers of the goods or services required as is practical, and shall purchase from that supplier where total costs are lowest, when quality and timeliness of delivery are comparable.
- Preferences will be given to products manufactured in the United States.
- Preferences will be given to purchasing from Daviess County businesses when total cost, quality and timeliness of delivery are comparable.
- Purchases will not be artificially divided so as to constitute a "small purchase."
d. Any purchase for more than $50 shall have the prior approval of the Director.
e. Purchases of books, magazines, pamphlets, films, filmstrips, microfilms, slides, transparencies, phono discs, phono tapes, models, art reproductions, and all other forms of library and audiovisual materials (including DVDs and VHS tapes) are exempt from the restrictions of this policy in accordance with IC 20-14-3-14.
f. The Director is authorized to establish a petty cash fund for incidental purchases. Library employees who make purchases greater than $10 must have prior approval of the Director.
g. If the library expects the purchase to be more than $50,000 but less than $150,000, the library shall solicit quotes from three or more vendors known to provide the goods or services required, as specified in IC 5-22-8-3.
3. Requests for Proposals and Competitive Bidding
If the library expects the purchase to exceed $150,000, the library shall prepare Requests for Proposals as specified in IC 5-22-9 or follow the competitive bidding procedures as specified in IC 5-22-7, except for those conditions which allow for special purchasing methods as defined in IC 5-22-10.
4. Purchases from the Department of Corrections
As required by IC 5-22-11, the library shall purchase from the Department of Corrections when the supplies and/or services: can be furnished in a timely manner, meet the specifications and needs of the Library, and can be purchased at a fair market value.
5. Purchases from the Rehabilitation Center
As required by IC 5-22-12, the library shall purchase from the Rehabilitation Center under the same conditions as articles produced by the Department of Corrections.
6. Purchases from Qualified Nonprofit Agencies for persons with Severe Disabilities
As required by IC 5-22-13, the library shall purchase from Qualified Nonprofit Agencies for Persons with Severe Disabilities under the same conditions as articles produced by the Department of Correction.
Last revised 1/13/2011